Position: Lead Pastor, Encounter Church
Location: Sayre (Milan), PA
Accountable to Superintendent Pam Braman
Church Description: Encounter Church is “a movement of imperfect people pursuing wholeness in Christ and releasing hope along the journey.” This 10-year-old, contemporary church is currently averaging about 250 people on Sundays. Their services include powerful worship (with a great worship team), strong children’s / youth ministries, and engaging, biblical, practical preaching. Over half of the church is currently involved in some form of small group. The staff is multi-gifted, and the highly flexible and contemporary building is just two years old. While young families are the largest demographic, this church reaches across generations. They are looking for a new Lead Pastor to help them continue their mission of reaching their community.
Community description: A cluster of small towns along the NY / PA border comprise “The Valley” (Athens and Sayre, Pa, Waverly, NY) of around 14,000 people. There’s a small-town feel where people know and care for one another, in an area of outstanding natural beauty. While there's a Walmart, grocery, and Lowes right in the Valley, in less than half an hour, you'll be in Elmira / Horseheads, with all the shopping you could want, plus an airport with Delta service. Forty-five minutes, and you'll be in Binghamton, which includes an airport that services most major airlines. Corning, home of the famous Corning Glass Museum in 40 minutes, and Ithaca (home of Cornell University) is under an hour. It's a charming area. Guthrie Hospital, part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, is also in the valley.
Qualities & Experience Desired:
*Deep love for the Lord, His Word, His people, as well as those who don’t yet know Him. Spiritual disciplines that reflect this love.
*Leader who can lead Encounter into its next season of fruitful ministry.
*Proven passion and experience at reaching those who aren’t yet followers of Jesus.
*Engaging preacher, with an ability to take the word of God and apply it to everyday life.
*Experience in larger, multi-staff church settings.
*Leader who effectively develops and empowers other leaders. (Current staff includes: 2 full-time pastoral staff [in ministerial candidacy] with a variety of gifts which could be aligned in a variety of ways, 2 part-time staff, and an additional volunteer ministerial candidate).
*Pastor who has a heart for small-town ministry, in an area with many needs.
*Pastor with a practice of deep prayer.
*Pastor who is authentic and genuine, who can relate to all those who come.
*Systems builder who can cast vision for, and train others to create systems that will welcome, integrate, and disciple new people who come.
In addition to the above, these are the expectations of all Genesis Pastors:
General Expectations of Genesis Pastors
Dealing with the souls of people and leading the church in going and making disciples requires continuing growth in these qualities and skills; spiritual qualifications, personal characteristics, pastoral care, communication, and leadership.
- Spiritual Qualifications. The pastor:
- is committed to Jesus Christ as Lord;
- shows evidence of integrity through holiness of heart and life;
- displays the fruit of the Holy Spirit;
- receives and gives forgiveness;
- possesses both humility and healthy self-esteem, maintaining a positive attitude;
- demonstrates faith, hope, and initiative;
- respects people regardless of race, gender, or economic status;
- models a teachable spirit;
- Personal Characteristics. The pastor:
- is called to ministry, with that call affirmed by others;
- practices spiritual disciplines including daily Bible reading and prayer;
- is gifted for leadership (leadership as an apostle, prophet, evangelist or shepherd-teacher - Ephesians 4:11-13);
- models a balanced life and healthy self-discipline;
- maintains freedom from addictions;
- engages in life-long learning;
- submits biblically to authority;
- seeks professional and personal accountability;
- if married: has a healthy marriage relationship and has the support of his/her spouse;
- is fruitful in evangelism;
- is fruitful in making disciples;
- Pastoral Care. The pastor:
- loves his/her family as Christ loves the church;
- responds appropriately and warmly to people;
- embodies a passion for those who don’t yet know Jesus;
- embodies a passion for making disciples;
- ensures appropriate love and care for the people of God;
- builds up people and inspires hope;
- demonstrates interpersonal skills; and
- resolves conflict effectively.
- Communication. The pastor:
- handles the Word of God correctly;
- calls people to faith in Christ;
- understands the culture, community, and congregation;
- utilizes effective means of communication;
- affirms and articulates Wesleyan theology;
- prepares thoroughly for public presentation;
- persuades people to make godly, life-changing decisions;
- challenges the status quo in love, when necessary; and
- facilitates an environment of holy worship.
- Leadership. The pastor:
- leads out of personal and corporate prayer;
- clearly articulates a vision from God;
- sets strategic goals to accomplish the vision;
- instills congregational ownership of vision and goals;
- mobilizes resources to fulfill the vision;
- practices sound principles in accomplishing change;
- identifies, attracts, equips, and empowers leaders;
- fosters a positive atmosphere;
- participates in the denomination’s mission; and
- promotes involvement in world evangelization.
- Denominational Connection & Commitment. The pastor:
- participates monthly in a Conference Community Group (CCG)
- connect the local church to Genesis events and resources as appropriate
- respects and is guided by those in authority over you (Field Superintendent, Conference Superintendent, Bishop).
- seeks appropriate coaching opportunities (life-long learner).
- participates annually in Annual Conference and OneDay.
Send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.