Accountable to Field Superintendent (TBD)
Church Description: Crossroads Community Church is a small, loving, prayerful congregation of mostly empty-nesters, seeking its next pastor to help them reach the surrounding growing community. The church already has a strong small group system and a worship team.
Community Description: Crossroads is located on the edge of Webster and Penfield in a growing and developing suburban area, full of new housing and retail shopping. The parsonage is in the Webster Central School District.
Qualities & Experience Desired:
*A pastor who leads out of their own genuine and earnest faith, and places a strong priority on honesty, truth, and vulnerability. Someone who leads out of a personal emphasis on prayer and seeking God.
*A solidly Biblical, engaging preacher with an ability to draw relevant life application from the Bible, teaching the people how the Word of God impacts our lives.
*A person with a desire to get connected and involved in the Webster & Penfield areas, including a willingness to live in the parsonage or close to the church (the parsonage is part of the pay package).
*A pastor with a heart to reach the community with the love and good news of Jesus.
*A versatile pastor who is willing to engage in many aspects of ministry.
*A pastor who is a “people person,” with a shepherd’s caring heart, and a good sense of humor.
In addition to the above, these are the expectations of all Genesis Pastors:
General Expectations of Genesis Pastors
Dealing with the souls of people and leading the church in going and making disciples requires continuing growth in these qualities and skills; spiritual qualifications, personal characteristics, pastoral care, communication, and leadership.
- Spiritual Qualifications. The pastor:
- is committed to Jesus Christ as Lord;
- shows evidence of integrity through holiness of heart and life;
- displays the fruit of the Holy Spirit;
- receives and gives forgiveness;
- possesses both humility and healthy self-esteem, maintaining a positive attitude;
- demonstrates faith, hope, and initiative;
- respects people regardless of race, gender, or economic status;
- models a teachable spirit;
- Personal Characteristics. The pastor:
- is called to ministry, with that call affirmed by others;
- practices spiritual disciplines including daily Bible reading and prayer;
- is gifted for leadership (leadership as an apostle, prophet, evangelist or shepherd-teacher - Ephesians 4:11-13);
- models a balanced life and healthy self-discipline;
- maintains freedom from addictions;
- engages in life-long learning;
- submits biblically to authority;
- seeks professional and personal accountability;
- if married: has a healthy marriage relationship and has the support of his/her spouse;
- is fruitful in evangelism;
- is fruitful in making disciples;
- Pastoral Care. The pastor:
- loves his/her family as Christ loves the church;
- responds appropriately and warmly to people;
- embodies a passion for those who don’t yet know Jesus;
- embodies a passion for making disciples;
- ensures appropriate love and care for the people of God;
- builds up people and inspires hope;
- demonstrates interpersonal skills; and
- resolves conflict effectively.
- Communication. The pastor:
- handles the Word of God correctly;
- calls people to faith in Christ;
- understands the culture, community, and congregation;
- utilizes effective means of communication;
- affirms and articulates Wesleyan theology;
- prepares thoroughly for public presentation;
- persuades people to make godly, life-changing decisions;
- challenges the status quo in love, when necessary; and
- facilitates an environment of holy worship.
- Leadership. The pastor:
- leads out of personal and corporate prayer;
- clearly articulates a vision from God;
- sets strategic goals to accomplish the vision;
- instills congregational ownership of vision and goals;
- mobilizes resources to fulfill the vision;
- practices sound principles in accomplishing change;
- identifies, attracts, equips, and empowers leaders;
- fosters a positive atmosphere;
- participates in the denomination’s mission; and
- promotes involvement in world evangelization.
- Denominational Connection & Commitment. The pastor:
- participates monthly in a Conference Community Group (CCG)
- connect the local church to Genesis events and resources as appropriate
- respects and is guided by those in authority over you (Field Superintendent, Conference Superintendent, Bishop).
- seeks appropriate coaching opportunities (life-long learner).
- participates annually in Annual Conference and OneDay.
Send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.